Tuesday, March 13, 2012

35/35!

I can't believe how long it's been since I've posted. It's terrible because I've been on maternity leave for almost 3 weeks now. I've been pretty busy though... doing a lot of laundry, cleaning, packing the hospital bag, taking childbirth classes, buying a townhouse....
Yes we bought a townhouse this week!! We couldn't believe the first place we put in an offer on actually got accepted. It's the cutest little place. We have a 30 day escrow which means we will probably close right around the time little man will make his appearance. We plan on moving about a month after he comes. We are both just beyond ecstatic to have our own place. And I can set up a real nursery! That reminds me, I need to post pictures of the little nook we have for baby in our room at my parents house. It will be his space until we move.

I have to mention that we absolutely loved our childbirth class. It was taught by a really cool doula. We finished every class feeling so much more prepared, despite all the reading and research we had previously done. I think the best part was how it united us. The class taught us how to communicate during what can be a stressful time, and it also gave us time to really focus on each other. When we would practice relaxation and breathing exercises, Theo and I were totally connected without saying a word. Not to mention I got several amazing massages from Theo throughout the course of the class. We found out this week that we may not be putting a lot of our labor education to use...

Our 35 week check up went a little differently than we anticipated. Since our last ultrasound, Theo and I have been researching macrasomia (big baby) and how we can have our best shot of a natural birth. We were really afraid that the doctor would push us towards induction or C-section. We knew that this 35 week ultrasound would tell us what our odds were of a natural delivery based on baby's size. Well, the ultrasound showed that our little boy is breech, after being head down at the last ultrasound at 30 weeks. We were pretty surprised to hear that the lump that always pokes out at the top of my belly is actually his head and not his butt. The doctor told me that could be why my back pain hasn't been quite as bad and why his movements feel different. She said we will do weekly ultrasounds to see if he's turned head down, but there's only about a 10% chance of that happening at this point. The good news is his size isn't quite as scary as they had thought. He's only measuring about 2 weeks ahead. Doctor said if he turns, she would think we could have a natural delivery. It was amazing how we had gone from wanting to fight for a natural delivery despite his size, to most likely facing a C-section because there isn't a choice when the baby is breech. But we're told that he's breech for a reason. It could be that his umbilical cord is to short, or he's too big to fit in my pelvic opening head down. Either way, he's where he is most comfortable. So we just wait until the next appointment, and take things one day at a time.
With only about a month left, we are so beyond excited and antsy to meet the little guy. It's incredible that after all this waiting, he will be in our arms so soon. Although I will miss him squirming around in my belly, I'm ready to be able to look into his beautiful face and see the little person we created. April can't come fast enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment