Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Oh baby bird!

Today, I stumbled upon this cute, quivering little ball of feathers. He was sitting on our sidewalk beneath a giant pine tree in our front yard. His little mouth gaping, just asking for love and food. After popping him in a box and doing some online research, I figured out what was best for the fallen angel. Supposedly, his age makes him a 'fledgling', which means he's too old to return him to the nest. The best thing to do is put him back near the site I found him, but try to get him out of harms way. The idea is that the mom will continue to feed him for the next 1-2 weeks until he can fly.
My mom had the brilliant idea to nail the shoe box to the tree he fell out of. It was pretty hilarious trying to nail up the box while my mom held a very unsteady ladder.
265226_786907813576_30501236_37754046_1643535_o9
2011-06-21_16.32.18

I hope he's doing okay tonight. It makes me sad that he's all by himself up there.
This reminds me of the time I tried to nurse a baby 'squirrel' back to health. After 2 days of trying to help he passed. That same day, an expert online got back to me and said based on my description the so called 'squirrel' was actually a rat. Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment